How To Get Rid Of German Cockroaches In Your Mooresville Home
November 30, 2022
If you’ve ever come across a German cockroach in your home, your first thought was probably something like, “How can I get rid of that cockroach as quickly as possible?” That is the question we hope to answer for you today.
Let's take a closer look at German roaches in Mooresville, including the problems they cause, the best ways to eliminate them, and the benefits of working with a Mooresville pest control expert to get rid of roaches.
How To Identify A German Cockroach
Knowing how to identify a German cockroach is an essential skill that all Mooresville homeowners should have, but how can you tell German roaches apart from the other types of cockroaches in your area?
The German cockroach is a smaller cockroach species, measuring between ½ and ⅝ of an inch long (for comparison, the largest home-invading cockroach in North Carolina ranges in size from 1 ¼ to 2 ⅛ inches long). You can identify these cockroaches by their oval-shaped bodies, light brown or tan coloring, and the two dark, almost parallel stripes on their back.
Why German Cockroaches Are Worse Than Other Roaches
German cockroaches may not be the biggest roaches in town, but they are definitely the baddest. While all cockroaches can cause problems in your home, some are worse than others, and German roaches are at the top of the list.
- German cockroaches are known to spread 33 different kinds of bacteria, six types of parasitic worms, and seven other human pathogens. Once inside your home, they will spread this bacteria to your counters, dishes, food, and possibly even your toothbrush!
- German cockroaches can cause allergic reactions and trigger asthma attacks in certain individuals.
- German cockroaches reproduce faster than other types of roaches, meaning you can go from having just a few cockroaches in your house to dealing with a full-blown infestation very quickly.
The Best Way To Get Rid Of German Cockroaches In Your Home
You should never have to share your home with dangerous German cockroaches, but they can be challenging to keep out on your own. At Lake Norman Pest Control, our number one recommendation for getting rid of these cockroaches is to contact a pest control professional for German cockroach control in Mooresville.
Five Simple Tips To Prevent Future Cockroach Problems
Preventing German cockroaches is much easier than eradicating an active infestation. Here are a few tips to help you keep German roaches out of your home:
- Keep Your Kitchen Clean. Sanitation goes a long way in deterring cockroaches. If you wipe down your counters regularly, clean up crumbs and spills as they occur, and keep dirty dishes from piling up in your sink, you will remove a lot of cockroach attractants.
- Remove Food Sources. Store your food in airtight containers or the refrigerator and avoid leaving food out overnight.
- Avoid Clutter. Remove clutter from your tables, floors, and other areas to reduce hiding spots and make your living space less inviting to German cockroaches.
- Seal Entry Points. When dealing with cockroaches, it’s vital to seal any potential entry points like cracks or gaps in your walls or floors that could allow them access to your home.
- Sign Up For Pest Control. If you’re worried about German cockroaches invading your home, our best and most reliable tip is always to get started with ongoing pest protection before it’s too late.
If you’re dealing with a German cockroach problem in Mooresville, reach out to us at Lake Norman Pest Control and get rid of those cockroaches for good!