Responsible Housekeeping Skills Against Ants
July 8, 2019
Ants are one of the most common house pests. To some, having ants in the household is harmless. Little do they know that ant infestations rank as one of the most bothersome situations at home. Ants work in great numbers. This gives them the ability to pilfer food faster inside our homes. They can easily destroy food packaging to gather sustenance for the whole colony. They even destroy accessories, clothes, books, and other belongings to gain more opportunities to hoard food or look for potential hideouts.
Ants also bring various diseases to humans and animals. Cockroaches are not the only pests that can live in sewers and drainage pipes. Ants, too, have food sources in these dirty areas. They eat almost everything including animal and insect carcasses. In turn, different kinds of bacteria and parasites latch on to their bodies, waiting for a more suitable host to infect.
The best way to prevent these pests from entering your house is through responsible housekeeping. To some people, housekeeping is only about the different chores that our parents force us to do every day. However, there is more to housekeeping than meets the eye.
Housekeeping keeps the house neat and tidy. And it also prevents the family from acquiring different diseases from parasites and bacteria. Simple chores such as making the bed are not only for visual satisfaction. It also aids to prevent pests from infesting your sheets and bedding. There are many duties and responsibilities in housekeeping. It includes:
1. Vacuuming. This is one of the most essential chores to do regularly. It helps remove any food crumbs and dust particles that attract ants into your home. If you have wooden floorboards, it pays off to invest in a vacuum cleaner. You can purchase a competent yet affordable vacuum in thrift shops, garage sales, and surplus shops. This equipment is effective on floors with small crevices and fissures. So, you can get rid of any pest attractant stuck between these gaps. If you have pets inside the house, the vacuum is your best friend. Our fur babies can be very messy at times, especially while eating. Vacuuming can help you secure your feeding area to prevent ants from infesting your home.
2. Sweeping. This is the most common duty in housekeeping. It should not only be done once or twice a week. Sweeping should be a force of habit, especially as the need arises. Whenever you are done with your activities, sweep your floors swiftly but surely. It helps prevent any unwanted crumbs from attracting any pests. You need to remember that the broom should not only be used on the floor. It is also an effective tool to remove cobwebs, dust, and unwanted dirt on the walls and the ceilings. If you want, you can purchase specialized brooms good for reaching the farthest parts of your ceilings.
3. Wiping and Polishing. Again, this method of housekeeping is not just about the appearance of a compartment. The polish you use on your floors, cupboards, centerpieces, tables, and windows contain certain chemicals that repel pests. Did you know that the red dye floor wax repels any impending insect infestation? It does not only get rid of ants but also spiders, cockroaches, fleas, and ticks.
4. Washing the Dishes. Some people wait a long time before they wash their dishes piled up on the sink. This is one of the main reasons why a house becomes infested with different kinds of pests. Dirty utensils attract ants and cockroaches into your home. They sense it as a potential food source. If you leave it enough to let them see it, your home might be in trouble for some serious infestation.
5. Cleaning the sink. After washing the dishes, make sure to clean the sink. Remove any residual waste and seal it using a plastic bag or a bin. Remove any crumbs and leftovers stuck on the drain. If you don’t pests will start to infest your sink because it has become a food source for ants. As a responsible homeowner, you must clean your sink after washing the dishes. From time to time, scrub your sink with antibacterial soap and water and let it soak. This should get rid of the accumulated stains and bacteria that could cause diseases to the family.
6. Cleaning the Tables and the Stove. After every meal, remember to clean these areas to avoid any forms of pest infestation. Usually, people neglect to wipe their tables and their stoves because they believe that it poses no harm to leave it uncleaned. Actually, this is one of the leading causes of pest infestation. The splatters on your stove make a good attractant to different kinds of pests. A drop of sugar on the table is enough to attract a whole colony of ants. It is these simple chores that make a big difference if you want to maintain your home tidy and clean.
7. Doing the Laundry. Do not pile up your clothes for so many days. The stains and the dirt from your clothes attract many pests that can ruin your clothes. If you can do your laundry three times a week, that should help you control the existence of pests inside your house. Plus, making this a habit will make washing your clothes an easier and less tiring job.
8. Regular changing of drapes, curtains, and sheets. Remember to wash or change these fabrics regularly. During the rainy seasons, these garments absorb moistly. And if left unattended, it could lead to molds. According to experts, inhaling molds is very harmful to human health. It is considered as a common carcinogen. Which is why it is important to secure the cleanliness of our drapes, curtains, and sheets. Imagine if you have children and pets inhaling mold particles. It would be terrifying and worrisome if they get sick because of it.
9. Fix any clutters. Avoid leaving any clutters in the kitchen, bathroom, bedroom, attic, and basement. Clutters provide hideouts to several pests such as mice, cockroaches, and ants. Remember to clean as you go. If you make a mess out of your activities, make sure you fix it afterward.
10. Consistent checking of cracks, crevices, and holes. These fissures are the common entryways of ants towards the house. It pays off to schedule one day every week to check the perimeter for any cracks and gaps so you can cover it up. Make sure you accomplish this especially before winter. This is the time when various pests look for residential areas for food, warmth, and stable shelter. Ants themselves are one of the common winter pests. They cannot survive the cold season outdoors. So, they look for a place where they can outlive the winter.
11. Regular disposal of garbage. Take out the trash at least 3 times a week depending on your rate of disposal. Make sure to move your bins away from your house to avoid any ant and cockroach infestation. Furthermore, remember to use bins with tight lids to avoid any pests such as cockroaches and mice to forage your garbage.
12. Lawn maintenance. Typically, ants are outdoor pests. They only need to infest homes when the temperature starts to drop. But if they are attracted by potential food sources, they are inclined to follow their senses and infest homes. If you want to prevent any ants from entering, you can use common lawn treatments to repel them. You can avail insecticides from your local department store. But remember to follow the instructions given by the manufacturer. You would not want to cause more damage to yourself and your family.
13. Communication about cleanliness and chores. If you have other house members, it is best to communicate about the scheduling of chores. If you are going to do this alone, it will take you so much time to finish these duties. But if you have family members who are willing to help, talk and agree amongst yourselves how you can work as a team to keep the house neat, tidy, and pest-free.
14. Teaching house members about housekeeping. If there are children and teenagers around, it is your responsibility as a guardian to teach them simple tasks of housekeeping. Children can be very messy while eating and playing. Which is why it is important for them to learn how to fix their mess without your assistance. Teaching children the basic of housekeeping is proven by psychologists to help them grow into responsible, neat, and organized individuals. How wonderful would it be to bond through housekeeping?
Call For Professional Help
If you feel think that all of these methods no longer work to avert an ant infestation. It is best to call for your local exterminator in Huntersville, NC Looking for the most affordable yet competent pest control provider? Contact Lake Norman Pest Control. This company has been providing service for more than 50 years. They have proven their competence by using high-quality methods of pest extermination and pest control. Over the years, they have given nothing more but excellence, satisfaction, and protection to different families in North Carolina. So, if you are having any pest problems, there is nobody else to call but Lake Norman Pest Control.