Early Signs Of Bed Bugs In Your Mooresville Home
January 29, 2021
Bed bugs are the type of pests that don’t ask questions but rather just take what they want: they won’t hesitate to invade your home or feed off you while you sleep. If it wasn’t for their small size and stealthy behavior, these pests would instill fear in people around the world. The sad truth is that many homeowners ignore bed bugs, and some don’t even know they exist. If you are being clued into these pests today and would like to learn how to identify them if they happen to get into your Moorseville home, here are a few things you should know.
What Are Bed Bugs?
Bed bugs are small, apple seed-sized, blood-feeding pests that are completely co-dependent on humans. Unable to survive long periods out in the wild, these parasitic insects are required to find creative ways to stay indoors. Most often, this involves hiding within the recesses of a home or business, and only coming out after their meal (a person like you) falls asleep.
One thing you should know about bed bugs is that they are not nocturnal. Bed bugs rest when their host is awake. If you work a night job and sleep during the day, bed bugs will adapt their habits to feed on you in broad daylight.
How To Identify Bed Bugs
Because bed bugs are so good at hiding, they are often difficult to spot around homes. Your best chance of catching a live bed bug is to set your alarm for 3-5 hours after you have gone to sleep, wake up with a flashlight, and thoroughly search your bed for reddish-brown, oval-shaped bugs. If waking up abruptly in the middle of the night isn’t something you want to do, here are a few other signs to look for instead:
- Bloodstains on bed coverings
- Small dots of reddish-black fecal matter in the corners of rooms, along baseboards, around outlets, and near cracks and crevices
- Tiny, pearl-white, almost see-through eggs and egg casings inside cracks and crevices
- Bites on your skin in a straight line or zig-zag pattern
- A musty odor in the air similar to that of the spice coriander
The Best Way To Avoid Bed Bugs
The more you understand bed bugs and the signs they leave behind, the better able you will be to avoid these pests. To help you steer clear of a bed bug infestation in the future, here are a few prevention tips we recommend.
- When traveling, thoroughly check rooms you will be staying in for signs of bed bugs before settling in.
- Inspect used furniture and other used items for bed bugs and bed bug eggs before purchasing them.
- When away from home, store used clothing inside airtight plastic bags. Immediately when you get back, wash this clothing on high heat.
- Teach your kids to inspect their backpacks for bed bugs before coming home from school each day.
- Be careful not to leave personal belongings in one place for more than 20 minutes when you are out in public.
- Inform your family and friends about bed bugs.
Removing A Bed Bug Infestation
If you suspect your home has bed bugs, your best answer is to get the experts at Lake Norman Pest Control involved. Our team will enact quick and effective solutions designed to eliminate bed bugs at all stages of their development around your Mooresville home.
Using only industry-leading products and advanced pest control strategies we will ensure bed bugs don’t have a fighting chance. Contact our team today to learn more about our quality pest control services or to schedule your Mooresville home for a bed bug inspection.