Important Tips For Pest Prevention & Control
September 3, 2019
There are some pests that do not pose any damage or nuisance at all. They live in a peaceful environment that does not involve human beings. However, there are some pests who can cause damage to plants, some cause damage to properties, some cause illnesses, and some are the combination of all. Rodents, for example, are more than just your ordinary pests. They can ruin properties, they can cause diseases, plus, they can damage plants.
Did you know that the most dangerous insect in the world is the mosquito? It affects tens of millions of people every year. It causes the most lethal illnesses known to human beings such as Dengue Fever, Malaria, West Nile Fever, Yellow Fever, Japanese Encephalitis, and Zika Virus.
Another common household pest is the cockroach. This is by far the most disgusting of all creatures. Did you know that these insects can damage properties at the same time cause illnesses? It causes dysentery, leprosy, E. Coli, and Salmonellosis.
Little do people know that cockroaches can damage clothing. They are attracted to sweat and stains in our clothing. When they smell it, they are inclined to eat through the clothing, damaging the fabric.
These are just a few reasons to employ an effective pest control management procedure at home. But before we get to that, let’s have a look at the two kinds of pests to better understand which type of pests are we dealing with.
According to experts, there are two types of pests, the pesky pests, and the harmful pests. The examples of pesky pests are stink bugs, most spiders, most ants, and earwigs–those that do not pose much nuisance at home. In the United States, there are only two spider species that cause harm to human beings–the Brown Recluse Spider and the Black Widow Spider. The bite of these two creatures can be lethal to other people. For this reason, immediate action must be imposed.
The second type of pests is harmful to pests. The most common examples are the following:
1. Rats & Mice – As we have discussed, rodents do not only cause damages to properties, they can also bring diseases to human beings. These creatures are known for their fast reproduction. A female rodent can breed every 2 months and can give birth to at least 6 tiny rodents in one litter. You can only imagine their rate of reproduction once these runts mature and breed more litters.
2. Bed Bugs – These creatures are known for reinvading the United States in the last decades. People thought that bed bugs have been extinct for a long time. It turns out that they have re-emerged to society as one of the most lethal killers. These are known for sucking the blood of humans and animals as they sleep. They can bring lethality to children and infants when they feed on huge numbers. They can cause skin irritations and anemia in many situations.
3. Mosquitoes & Ticks – Do not be fooled by their minute size! Their bites can cause serious irritation. And in many cases, it can cause complications that can lead to death. Fleas are the number one enemies of our pets. To most people, fleas and mosquitoes are normal parts of life. Little do they know the dangers they bring to humans and animals.
4. Termites – Did you know that termites can cause more than $1,000,000,000 property damage every year in the United States alone?
5. Cockroaches – Cockroaches can reproduce quickly. The female cockroach reproduces an “ootheca” or the capsule that contains more than 50 to 100 baby cockroaches. At their speed of 3 miles per second, nobody knows how fast these creatures can spread bacteria in just one minute.
6. House Flies – These are also considered as harmful pests because of their ability to transmit Salmonella, E. coli, Vibrio, and Shigella in their feces and vomit.
7. Ants – such as fire ants and bullet anta bite painfully and aggressively. For this reason, they are considered harmful pests at home.
How To Prevent Infestations
No matter where you are, there are practical tips on how you can prevent pest infestations. Here are some of the most practical means for pest management and prevention.
1. We all know that ants love leftovers and food crumbs. So, it is best to clean after you eat ad store your food in airtight containers like Tupperware or jars.
2. Experts recommend keeping your trash bin as far away as possible from your home. Rodents, cockroaches, and ants target these bins for food. If you keep them close to your home, there is a greater possibility that they can get in. Plus, it is recommended to keep a tight lid to close your trash at all times.
3. Schedule a weekly or monthly check-up for your entire home to inspect any cracks or holes in walls, foundation, and vents. If there are any, seal them or fix them as soon as possible to prevent termites, roaches, rodents, and other pests. If not, you can call for a local carpenter to do the job for you. It should not take a whole day to do so.
4. Whenever you’re in the department store or market, always remember to check the packaging of your goods for any worms, beetles, moths, and other pests before you buy them. If there are holes on the packaging, or if it has been torn, look for another shelf with the same product. Chances are that the parasites have already invaded the other boxes or goods.
5. Landscaping of your lawn is one of the practical ways to prevent pests. It gives pests a hard time to get in contact with your home proper. Hence, they are more likely to move to another location.
6. Most indoor pests love moist. To control their population, it is best to fix any leaking pipes, faucets, and appliances. Standing water is proven by experts to attract many different types of pests such as mosquitoes.
7. It pays off to invest in screens for your doors or windows. If you are in a warm place and you need to open your door or windows, at least you won’t have to worry about pests if you do.
8. If you are experiencing beetle and termites infestations, get rid of any scrap wood inside or outside your home. They love wood. So, you might as well remove what attracts them the most.
9. Rodents and cockroaches love clutters. It gives them an all-access pass inside your house. To keep your house pest-free, keep it clutter-free. The more clutter you have, the more dark spots these pests can hide in.
10. You can also use pest control products like pest zappers, sprays, and sticky paper to control the pest population. You can buy these products in hardware stores and department stores at a very cheap price. Trust me, prevention is always better than cure.
11. To prevent fleas from entering your home, check your pet’s coat for any sign of fleas before you let them in. Better yet, bathe them or treat their coat with anti-flea formula before you make them go home. Once these creatures get indoors it’s very difficult to exterminate them.
12. Having a vacuum indoors is very effective in getting rid of fleas, tick, roaches, ants and many more. It helps to eliminate crumbs that may attract pests. At the same time, it is very effective in getting rid of eggs and larvae.
Contact A Pest Control Specialist Near Denver
I would like to introduce the pest control company that has it all for you. Lake Norman Pest Control has been providing services in North Carolina for over 50 years. Founded by Sam and Fran Newman, Lake Norman Pest Control is dedicated to excellence, safety, and satisfaction. Leave it all to the exterminators who will give you the best service for pest management there is. Equipped with the latest methods for extermination, LNPC guarantees 100% safety for your family, garden, and pets. You will not have to worry about any danger nor harm. Lake Norman Pest Control will lay down every procedure perfectly.
The experts from the company pride themselves in using state-of-the-art procedures of pest control. They use natural methods to make sure that no harm will be done to your loved ones. Many people question this factor about the safety of techniques used in pest management. In Lake Norman Pest Control, the only damage they will cause is to the pests and everything they stand for.
The company offers a basic service plan that covers the interior and exterior of your home. Exterminating most kinds of pests such as mosquitoes, mice, and cockroaches, we provide all necessary treatments without additional charge. No more budget constraints. At Lake Norman Pest Control, you will be sure to have the safe and pest-free environment you always deserved. No more worrying about disease-causing pests. We will take care of everything for you. For as low as $30 per month, you will literally be killing multiple pests in a blink of an eye.