The Best Way To Protect Yourself From Mosquitoes In Mooresville, NC
July 15, 2021
Mosquitoes don’t seem to rest. If you’re outdoors, they are bound to persistently flutter around you until they get to your skin. To survive, they have to bite humans or animals and drink their blood. They aren’t always detectable; they can nibble on you without you seeing them or feeling it. However, you’ll notice the itchy and red bumps they’ll leave on your body.
Considering the activities of mosquitoes, disease transmission is a major concern. So much so, health professionals call these insects the most medically dangerous. It’s an uphill battle keeping the bugs away in Mooresville because they have a natural habitat. Learn how you can prevent them successfully, and what Lake Norman Pest Control can do to help.
How Do Mosquitoes Behave? What Are the Risks?
“Little fly” is what the word mosquito translates to, as their scaly bodies are just 0.12 to 0.35 of an inch long. They have very thin legs, pronounced noses, and a pair of wings. Since their egg production is dependent on blood, the female bugs will be the ones targeting you. Water is also crucial in this process, so swarms will be near standing pools. In particular, larvae absorb organisms from it. Nectar is the third vital element mosquitoes require. With all of this in mind, you should be preparing for these pests if your home or business is in the vicinity of a body of water or greenery. For instance, rivers and wooded areas. Roughly, 3,500 species are on the earth.
The most common entryways for mosquitoes are open windows and doors, and foundation cracks. To avoid being caught, these insects will nestle in spaces like basements, closets, and laundry rooms. Dark spots with low traffic and a moisture point are preferable to them. You can conclude you have an infestation if you consistently see mosquitoes or bites on your skin.
Here’s a few key facts about diseases mosquitoes have been linked to:
- Malaria has symptoms of sweating and chills.
- Zika virus will lead to birth defects in 5% of infants.
- Dengue brings on rashes, nausea, and fever.
- Chikungunya is incurable and will cause fever and severe joint pain.
- Yellow Fever triggers critical heart, kidney, and liver problems.
- West Nile virus has 80% of asymptomatic patients but will launch fatal neurological responses.
How Can You Prevent Mosquitoes?
Keeping mosquitoes at bay requires improving your exterior care. It will need to be more detailed. Also, it may seem strange, but being specific about your clothing and dining is necessary too. There’s a chance you can attract these bugs to you so try to:
- Burn candles that contain essential oils, such as lavender and cedarwood.
- Place mosquito traps outdoors and clean them often.
- Reduce standing water by draining swimming areas and drying pet drinking bowls.
- Cut the grass and trim greenery regularly. Never overwater the lawn, and ensure it’s draining properly.
- Get rid of organic debris and trash in the yard.
- Wash out your gutters on a routine basis.
- Not to wear dark colors that mosquitoes can see easily, like black and blue. Put on brighter shades instead.
- Not to have an alcoholic beverage; the content and smell will seep from your pores and draw mosquitoes.
- Be on alert when you’re close to bodies of water or out at dusk. That’s when mosquitoes are active.
What Will Lake Norman Pest Control Do About Mosquitoes?
We at Lake Norman Pest Control have industrial-grade solutions that will eliminate mosquitoes for extended periods. Our expert technicians will identify and address harborage zones with a backpack misting system. Further, a breeding treatment will stop mosquito larvae development. Guarantees and recurring visits are available. Call today for a free quote!